Thursday, July 3, 2008

Placenta what?

I just got the results back from the ultrasound I had last week and found out today that I have a what they call a "low lying" placenta. This means that the placenta is encroaching the lower segment of the uterus but is not infringing on the cervical opening. From the ultrasound, the placenta is measuring 1.8-1.9 cm from my cervix. The "cut off" number, if you will, to deliver normally is no less than 2.0 cm. If the placenta does not move up and away from my cervix, I'd have to have a c-section- similar to someone with a complete placenta praevia.

BUT- my midwife assures me that as the baby continues to grow that more likely than not the placenta will move up, too. So, I will have to go for another ultrasound in 6 weeks (when I am 26 weeks pregnant) to have it checked again. Technically, it needs to move only 0.2 cm to let them allow me to have a normal birth, which the odds are in my favor for that. Please be praying with us that my placenta will move so I can avoid a c-section. Will post again when once I have the next ultrasound.

Here's a shot of me and my 20 week baby belly!!!
(Hey Carrie: I posted mine, now I want to see yours on your blog!)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

YOu look great! I can't wait to meet your new little girl. I would be happy to post my 20 week belly picture, but let me see how willing you are when you hit the 36 week mark. By the way I am now the proud mama of an 8lb 3oz baby girl delivered VBAC praise God! I will be praying for you to avoid a c-section, believe me there is NO comparison. Norah is a very content baby, nurses and sleeps well, and we are very blessed. Lucy is not so happy being the big sister but we trusting that as they grow, they will grow close together. There are pictures posted on my friends blog, www.hollyshotmywedding.com. I love reading your posts, keep them coming:)
Carrie